Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 14: Mother's Day

I stood up late last night--a.k.a. this morning-- to talk to my aunt, who wakes up at 2:00AM (to go the temple to pray--amazing!)-- to get something for my mom since it's my mom's birthday. I really didn't know what to do, since this is the first time ever that we're ever going to celebrate it. Every year, we always forget... except me; I happen to remember at around 10-11PM at night every year and saying something like "Oh my God! I can't believe we forgot your birthday this year again!" and getting the response "Today's my birthday?"

Anyways, I suggested my aunt to bring something cake-like, but not cake, since my mom does not like cake--to her, it's heart-attack with air pockets. WNumbered Listell, she says that for any baked good.... so I guess cake is more like heart-attack with air pockets and fat smothered on top. Either that, or she knew it was a lie. My aunt didn't believe that my mom wouldn't like cake (after all, who doesn't?) and suggested to get cake anyway.

My uncle took me to the bakery in town on his motorcycle/vespa. It's been so long since I last rode one of those things--I had forgotten how unsafe it felt @@. It's just as my aunt said: 不是鐵包肉, 是肉包鐵. In other words, if you drive a car, it's metal covering flesh; if you drive a motorcycle, it's flesh covering metal. Anyway, the bakery wasn't far and the road wasn't too bumpy. At least I had something to hold on to. But on the way back was a different story TT. The plan was to get a 10-inch cake, but the bakery they had in mind was closed, so we went to the bakery next door (that must be bad for business), which sold only 8-inch cakes and 14-inch cakes. So, because it was better to overcompensate than undercompensate, we got the 14-inch cake... but it made so I had to hold the cake box with two hands. That meant no holding on to the motorcycle. Can't believe I got the cake back in one piece.

The cake was great. It was a fruit-taro cake. Whoo~~ Asian fruit cake XD.

No comments:

Post a Comment