After playing in the dirt the whole morning, I washed up to get ready to meet up with my uncle (from my dad's side) to see my grandmother (also from my dad's side). We met up in Banqiao, where my grandmother is at. She lives in a nursing home because she has Alzheimer's Disease and is unable to live unassisted. When we got there, it was a pretty sad sight...

From what I heard from my uncle, Rizan, and his wife, my grandma has been in another nursing home before, and has been neglected during her stay there, resulting in temporary paralysis of her head--rendering her unable to talk or even move her lips. Fortunately, now she's talking, but it's rather "incoherent"--I swear I heard legitimate Taiwanese phrases coming out of her mouth, but everyone keeps saying that they don't understand.
And I just don't approve of how my mom and uncle treat grandma. They talk to her and pet her like she's a child, an idiot, a dog. It's just seems so demeaning... but they're probably treating her correctly--the more blunt, direct affection, the more grandma can connect to it, I suppose.
Afterwards, Uncle Rizan (OMG, A NAME I FINALLY KNOW) took us out to dinner with even more more generic Taiwanese food. I really like this uncle a lot, actually. He's not very talkative, but when he talks, he's very blunt and direct and usually full of good humor.
No comments:
Post a Comment